Mechanical Designer / DrafterThe Mechanical Designer/Drafter will be responsible for the development and preparation of engineering designs and drawings using SolidWorks or similar design software, writing technical reports, and ensuring design drawings conform to specifications and design data. Responsibilities will include the preparation and interpretation of conventional and Computer-Aided Design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings and specifications for machines and components, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design manufacturing equipment and components, tools, dies, jigs and fixtures for use in manufacturing processes.
- Work closely with maintenance personnel or equipment designers to develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data.
- Operate computer-assisted drafting equipment using SolidWorks or similar software.
- Develop and prepare design sketches.
- Complete documentation packages, including component drawings, assembly drawings and Bills of Material (BOM), suitable for subcontracting fabrication activities.
- Check and verify design drawings to confirm compliance to standards/specifications, such as CSA Z432, etc., and other design data.
- Write technical reports, as required.
- Develop and prepare facility engineering drawings, plans, diagrams or layouts.
- Reverse engineer equipment to complete comprehensive engineering data packages.
- Support and participate in the performance of maintenance activities as required.
- May assist in the construction and rebuilding of machines used in production.
- Participate in cross-functional, continuous improvement teams as the opportunity presents itself.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Coordinate equipment upgrades/rebuilds to ensure material and resources are available to meet planned schedules.
- In conjunction with Maintenance Management and Purchasing perform make/buy cost analysis for parts/equipment required to support manufacturing.
- Prepare cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports for assigned projects.
- Monitor costs and schedules to identify potential issues and initiate actions with support from Maintenance Management.
- Utilize software tools such as Microsoft Project to track project costs and schedules.
- Maintain Bills of Material (BOM) for equipment designs and Preventative Maintenance instructions in the company's Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- In conjunction with Maintenance Management, develop and implement a formal documentation control system for all engineering drawings and Bills of Materials created.
- Administer the documentation control system.
- Research new technologies that can be utilized to improve manufacturing efficiencies, reduce costs and/or address identified health and safety issues.
- College degree in engineering design and drafting technology, mechanical engineering or a related field.
- 3 years of SolidWorks experience including standardized drafting practices.
- 3 years of experience supporting mechanical products and assemblies in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to develop accurate manufacturing specs in a timely manner.
- Must have the ability to partner with internal customers in order to develop manufacturing specs effectively.
- Ability to create preliminary designs or conceptualization of design.
- Ability to create freehand sketches / perspectives essential.
- Ability to create presentation drawings with perspectives using SolidWorks.
- Ability to create detailed drawings for architecture, structure and electromechanical works.
- Computer proficiency in SolidWorks 3D Modeling.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to produce succinct reports/presentations to communicate status of assigned projects/tasks to all levels of management.
- Sound technical background (hands-on) with logical deductive reasoning approach.
- Interest in developing technical skills through both internal and external training.
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time Management techniques.
- Conviction to improve personally and support continuous improvement in the department and company as a whole.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, SolidWorks and other software packages.
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition to competitive salaries, Loos and Company offers a great employee benefit package for its full-time employees.
Our benefits include:
Comprehensive Medical and Dental Insurance
Short-term & Long-term Disability Insurance
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
If it sounds like a great place to work, it is!
For more information contact our Human Resource Manager, Lynn Bouthillier.
About Loos & Co., Inc
Founded in 1958, Loos and Company evolved from a three-car garage business, originally situated behind the home of owner A. W. “Gus” Loos and his wife Joan, to a 220,000 square foot plant located in picturesque Pomfret, Connecticut. Today, Loos and Company manufactures a wide variety of wire, aircraft cable, and wire rope. These products are used in aerospace, military, and commercial applications, including - aircraft flight controls, elevators, fitness equipment, rigging, and scaffolding operations. They are OEM producers for companies such as Boeing, General Dynamics, and Bombardier.
To Apply by Email:
Contact our Human Resource Department at [email protected]
To Apply in Person:
16B Mashamoquet Road / Pomfret Center, CT / 06259
M-F 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
To Apply by Mail:
P.O. Box 98 / Pomfret, CT 06258